The building and Hospital of “Santa Casa da Misericórdia (mercy)” de Elvas started to be built shortly after 1502. The Church was completed around 1566, having been greatly modified by works from the 18th and 19th centuries.
The Misericórdia hospital was in this building until the early 90’s. XX when the Santa Luzia hospital was inaugurated. In 2006, work began on adapting the building to the Museum of Contemporary Art
The front of the church is characterized by a granite gantry of the region with moldings and pinnacles, on which is an image of “Nossa Senhora da Piedade” that was placed on the door of the old hospital between 1566 and 1742. The interior of the temple has an altar of masonry and on the sides two wooden altars with the images of “Nosso Senhor Salvador” on the right and Santa Luzia on the left, as well as side chapel stonework.