The Cathedral of Elvas (Church of Our Lady of the Assumption of Elvas), is located on the site of a previous construction, possibly Gothic. Its construction started in 1517 according to a project attributed to Francisco de Arruda. Twenty years later it was not yet completed and was open to the public without the entire structures being completed.
In 1570 the city was elevated to the category of diocese and, although the various bishops who succeeded each other in the episcopate had enlarged and modified the building to some extent, the church maintains its original Manueline structure, of three naves, being the highest central and with a more complex vaulting scheme. It has a prominent transept and a tripartite headboard. The south side portal, carved, is still the original.